Saturday, May 27, 2006

27 May

Koh Chang triathlon

27 May - It appears that some of my fellow countrymen are made of sterner stuff than myself, as the results from the KC Triathlon bear out. Englishman Peter Gibney (not pictured right) proved to be the toughest competitor at the Koh Chang International Triathlon on Sunday, leading all legs of the event before winning the title and 150,000 Baht in prize money. (I have a feeling that this wasn't his first triathlon.)

In second place was another Brit, Simon Thomas. All in all, around 150 people took part in the event which cot around 3 million baht to organise. Unfortunately, none of this amount was spent on informing locals that the road outside Chang Park Resort in Kai Bae would be sealed off for an hour or two whilst the cyclists U-turned there - resulting in a tailback.

Yesterday, I went to see the GM of a resort to get some info for an article I have to write about them for a tourist mag. She wasn't there but an underling was dispatched to speak to me and let me know that "we" didn't know what she wanted to say about the resort as "We haven't had a meeting about we what to say yet." I went away fearing the worst . . ."we" will want to use the word 'paradise' way too often; will make repeated references to a 'pristine, palm fringed, white sand beach' that exists only in the eye of your graphic artist; and will probably expect me to include some slogan that your marketing department came up with that has zero meaning to anyone with English as a first, second or third language. Fortunately, that didn't turn out to be the case when I went back this morning I had a cup of tea, a nice tour with her and permission to write whatever I wanted, with the proviso it was all positive. :-)

'The Nation' newspaper will be running a Koh Chang special shortly. Their salesgirls are currently phoning businesses on KC to try to sell advertising spots and mentions in the upcoming feature. Another option for anyone wanting to see their resort or business's name in the national media is the offer from TATV - (Tourist Authority TV, on UBC Channel 9) to make 25 minute long TV show about your place, and just how great it is, for only 35,000 baht - discounted from 45,000 baht. On the face of it it sounds like a good deal but I've yet to meet someone who's actually sat through a program on this station.

No comments: